Pages

Friday, October 2, 2009

Photoshop Pen Tool

Creative Techs had a really good free webinar yesterday on using the pen tool in Photoshop. It looked really easy. I took notes when I could, but it was difficult to watch the progress, listen to the tips and shortcuts, and write things down. I am determined to learn to use this tool and am going to use it to make outlines of things I like to draw.

It should come as no surprise that my first attempt is a bird. I started with a hand drawn picture, then used the pen tool on a layer above to try to get the outline. I had a bit of difficulty and had to start over a few times, but finally liked it enough to try to use other tools in Photoshop to "finish" it. The outline is completely drawn using the pen tool. The "feathers" were added using a brush. I am just realizing how unreal the branch looks. I should have roughed it up a bit, but I was so concentrating on the bird, I completely missed it. Sorry! I don't like him all that much, but am proud as punch that I was able to get a recognizable outline using the pen tool.



He is not exactly what I wanted, but he is definitely recognizable (although I don't know if such a bird really exists).

I finished my surprise project yesterday and submitted it. Once I hear about the judging and how I did, I will post a picture.

I signed up for five more addresses from Postcrossing and am just beginning to make the post cards. I think I am going to make them with a pretty scrapbooking paper background and then collage on top. I may add a poem (maybe a haiku) as well. I'll show you what I've done when I am finished.

Also, I have finally chosen the art pieces that I will send on as part of the Pay It Forward project that I participated in early in March. Lucky the rules gave me a year to fulfill my obligation because I have finally given it the required thought and will try to get them in the mail this weekend. I haven't received mine yet, but only seven months have passed. It will be fun to get a surprise in the mail. Sure hope my PIF recipients like what I am sending.

I am watching the baby most of the day and meeting the 1st grader's bus around 2 pm. I don't think it will be an art day today. Maybe next week I will try to do a small tutorial on the pen tool (Yikes!)

Bye for now.....



3 comments:

  1. I don't know how you manage to do it all! Your bird is a great first attempt with the pen. See you soon! hugs, nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vickie,
    I am so interested in your progress with this pen thingie. I hope that you will show us pics of you using it. Your bird looks great what is it someone said..Don't despise small beginnings? One thing that I have learned from people like you is that if you don't try you'll never know whether you could have done it or not. Keep up the good worka
    Love and Laughter,
    Gale

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for even giving it a try. The Pen is very daunting, but can give very satisfying results. Eventually! Patience and practice. And killing that judging voice within. Great start. Sox

    ReplyDelete